Take a moment to think about the people in your life who you respect professionally. Think about people who have done well in their jobs in a manner that you would like to emulate.
How many of those people love the work that they’re doing? Chances are almost all of them do.
The people who are most successful in their personal careers are almost always people who have found work that that they find meaningful and fulfilling. And by success we don’t just mean financial success. The thing that you’re best at might not be the thing that could make you the most money, but it will almost certainly be the career that will make you the happiest.
The key to finding a job that will make you happy is discovering what your passions are. If you can feel passion for the work that you’re doing, it won’t feel like work anymore. Hard assignments will instead feel like worthwhile challenges, and bad days will be much fewer and further between. When the work you’re doing is something that you’re passionate about, it becomes much easier to set goals, remain disciplined, and keep a positive attitude — three things that will make you much more successful in your career.
Questions to Help You Find Your Life Purpose
So how do you go about finding your life purpose? It seems like some people are born knowing exactly what they want to do, but for the rest of us, finding our purpose takes careful reflection and consideration. Here are several questions you should ask yourself about finding your purpose:
- If you could have anything you want in life, what would it be?
- If you could become anyone else, whose life would you choose? Who are the professionals that you admire the most?
- If you could develop one quality to make you a better leader, what would it be?
- What do you want to accomplish in your career? Is it something you can do for your current employer?
- What would give you the willpower or determination to improve the quality of your work?
- What can you change to improve the quality of your life?
- What are the activities that make you happiest? What activities make you feel most fulfilled?
- What are your strengths, and are they being utilized in your current position?
Use these questions as a launching pad to reflect on your talents, your current work situation, and the future you would like to have. If what you want isn’t in line with where you think you’re currently going, it might be time to make a change. As the saying goes, how you spend your days is how you’ve spent your life. Make sure you’re spending your life well!
A Formula for Success
At Level Up Leadership, a formula we often give our clients is A(ks) + Goals = PBC > IR. What does this mean? Simply that we can all achieve Improved Results when we effect Positive Behavior Change by setting WHY-SMART Goals (Written, Harmonious, Yours and also meeting the SMART criteria) using the Knowledge and Skills you have, as well as gaining to new ones, to support the attainment of your goals. This is all enhanced by having the right Attitude and using affirmation to cultivate the right attitude.